Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Goals for 2009


I'm not one to make New Years Resolutions, but I have set a few goals for myself this year. I like to set goals, but don't beat myself up if I don't attain them either. I am posting this so that I am putting a few of my goals into writing so that they are something my readers can keep me accountable for. Otherwise I know that it would be very easy to slack on them. Please feel free to ask me, occasionally, how they are going.


1) I am trying to live more frugally. I am searching for ways to cut back on our budget. I am always looking for great deals. I've started using coupons in hopes of saving a few dollars. I will also be making our bread instead of buying it from the store. I am loving the way the bread makes our house smell! Do you have any bread recipes you want to share with me? There are other ways I will be trying to save money, but I will try to share more later.


2) We are going to work really hard at creating a budget and staying on track. We have made so many budgets over the years, but that is as far as we get. We are terrible at sticking to them. I don't know why we even bother wasting our time creating them when we don't even look at them again. We are also toying around with the idea of going to a cash only system. It is so easy to spend money when we are using our debit card or credit cards. I think we will stop and think before handing over cash (at least that is the idea). We would really like to do a better job at paying off our debt and putting more into savings, retirement and saving for our children's educations.


There are more things that I would love to work on, but I know that I need to be realistic if I plan on doing any of them. Please hold me accountable to these things!




3 comments:

Penny said...

good luck!
We used to make our bread in the bread maker but we worked out it was no cheaper than buying it. But it does mean you control what goes into the loaf!

Jill said...

Ahhh...I totally agree about cash only and budgeting...we are in the same boat. I have thought about not doing auto-withdrawl and doing cash only for things. Debit cards are so easy to use! If you have any helpful tools, let me know. We always want to put a budget together but never do and if we do we don't follow it. Hopeing that will change!

Anne-Marie A said...

i was reading some blog posts of your and wanted to suggest mnvelopes (http://www.mvelopes.com)
... it's virtual envelopes and it's made keep track of the budget much easier on me. I used to do a simillar manual system but having it online really works well.