Thursday, May 29, 2008

Vacation Giveaway!

Visit Seattle Mom Blogs for a chance to win a great vacation in Seabrook, WA.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bottles


I'm sure you have all heard the recent reports of Bisphenol-A (BPA) and the possible leaching that may take place in plastic products. Acidic drinks and heat increase this leaching. I have decided to replace the bottles that we drink out of. This doesn't just mean I have replaced Truitt's baby bottles (not that he drinks out of a bottle very often), but I have replaced bottles that each of our family members drink out of. All of the bottles that I have recently purchased came with high reviews from friends. Chris and I are now proud owners of Camelbak bottles, Keegan now has a Sigg metal bottle and Truitt has Born Free bottles.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Changes

I am trying to make some changes in our diet. I want to be more aware of what we are eating and try to make some healthier choices. I have decided to cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup (as much as possible) among many other things. While doing so, I have found some great (yummy) alternatives. I will try to share some of them as I find them.

We were at Babies R Us last night and I found these great natural lollipops made by Yummy Earth. I didn't feel so bad giving Keegan a treat and we were really surprised at how good they tasted.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

No - That's Not a Black Eye!



It was a beautiful day today. Keegan was out in the backyard while I was finishing up work. It was shortly after 5pm and Angela came running into the office! Something was wrong - very wrong.

Keegan, being the curious creature that he is, had managed to open up the hot tub chemicals and pulled out a spray bottle. Now, even though we have warned him time and again not to play with anything in the hot tub bin, he decided to help himself anyway. So, in effort to have some fun spraying things he began to play with the one labeled "DANGER: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN MAY CAUSE SKIN OR EYE DAMAGE". You know, the kind we should have had put away in a locked container...but haven't gotten around to it quite yet. (I feel about this big right about now)

Anyway, within seconds he had sprayed himself in the eye and came screaming into the house calling for Mommy. Angela called the poison control center while I attempted to flush out his eye with water. The process went from bad to worse as we were told to flush out his eyes for 10 minutes before calling back to the Poison control center. Now, while flushing out the eyes sounds easy enough - try explaining it to a 3 year old while he is kicking and screaming for you to leave him alone.

Needless to say - I ended up pinning him down while Angela flushed his eye out with water as best as we could. Grandma came over and had to help as well - it was a pretty emotional ordeal.

By the grace of God, when it was done Keegan's eye looked actually pretty good - so much so that the Poison Control Center guy told us not to worry about taking him into the Urgent Care. He said everything should be fine. We were lucky! But the spray left a pretty nasty mark below it on his face. (It should go away in a couple of days)

So, what have we learned today kids?

Well, for one - Keegan learned NOT to play with chemicals - even if they are in fun spray bottles!

Daddy and Mommy learned that we need to buy a better container to store them in - preferably one with a lock. (Oh, what fools we parents be!)

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Check Out His Moves!

Just for you Pastor Ryan!

Learning!

I found Keegan in the livingroom, last week, working on writing his name. He had pulled out all the practice cards for the letters in his name and was working away. My little boy is growing up so fast!!

video