Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I'm not one to make New Year's Resolutions. Mainly because I don't usually keep them. I also think it is important to take inventory of our lives on a daily basis and change things that may need to be changed. All that said, there are a few things that I have been thinking about implementing into my life. They New Year seems like a great time to start with a few of these things.

I want my house to be the healthiest, safest place for my family. Since having kids, I have become aware of how many toxins we introduce into our own homes everyday. I really want to be protecting my kids, not adding to the ever growing list of hazards they come into contact with. I feel very very guilty for using so many different things in my home. That is why, about a year ago, I decided to make some changes. I have changed most of my cleaning supplies to organic, non toxic, products. I chose to use Shaklee products. I have fallen in love with them. In fact, I believe in these products so much that I decided to start selling them. We also use many of their nutrition products as well.
I wish I could afford to switch everything we use/consume to organic products, but that just isn't in our budget. I do purchase as many things that are organic as I can. I figure anything is better than nothing.

I have been really inspired by reading my friend Kristen's blog. She always seems to have great ideas on how to live a healthier lifestyle. A few of the things that she has blogged about have been on my mind for a while now. I would love to get rid of some of the extra waste in my life. By this, I mean, all those extra shopping bag, produce bags, etc. I would like to purchase a few of these Organic Cotton Produce Bags to use on my shopping trips. I feel that the Thanks for recommending them Kristen! I would also like to purchase reusable grocery bags.
I'm sure there are more things that I could do to make a difference, but I figured start small so that I am not overwhelmed by all the changes.

4 comments:

Penny said...

Big changes start with small things. These bags are very cool - and you'll find they are very convenient too.

I have one that fits into my handbag and it has proven to be very handy for all kinds of things!

Jenny said...

Angela, I've been feeling convicted about the waste we produce as well. I'm not what you'd call an environmentalist, but I do think God has given us charge over the earth and we have so mishandled that trust! I've seen many patterns for grocery bags and I think I'll make a few. In fact, Penny posted a tutorial on her blog, didn't she? I'll have to go search for that.

I also wanted to tell you I love the pic of Keegan covered in marker! ;)

The Shipsters said...

I can't even count how many plastic bags I had stored under my sink when we moved out of our old house! And every time I go grocery shopping, I get 10-20 more to add to the pile. Making reusable grocery bags is such a great idea! Thanks for the post, Angela!

Sarah said...

Around Christmas time Fred Meyer had a deal where you would get three cloth bags for every $75 you spent. Since I do a lot of my shopping there (their soy products are cheaper than most places...) I've earned a few. My biggest problem is remembering to have them on hand when I do my shopping! I try to keep them in the car, but with getting the kids into the store I often forget to bring them in. Anyhow, I am grateful not to be swimming in those horrible plastic bags anymore!