Friday, July 17, 2009

Yet Another Use


Last night I was watching Food Detectives on the Food Network. One of the things they were testing is to see if wood cutting boards harbor more bacteria than plastic ones (even after being washed). They proved that wood cutting boards are actually, slightly, less likely to harbor bacteria. They still had a little bacteria on them, but not as much as the plastic ones. They weren't really sure why that was, but one of the theories was that the wood could pull the bacteria deeper into the cutting board so that it was no longer in contact with the top cutting service.


They stressed the importance of disinfecting your cutting board. The most common way to do this is to use a bleach/water solution. Now, anyone that knows me knows my aversion to bleach. In fact, I don't have any bleach in my house. Bleach is one of the worst chemicals you could actually have in your home!!! But, they did offer another solution. I was delighted when I heard it! This is an item that I use all the time around my house and couldn't wait to disinfect my cutting boards :) What is it? VINEGAR!!! There you go, another use for that great, inexpensive, acidic condiment.

4 comments:

tscarter7 said...

OK you sold me again! :)I am sitting daily by the door waiting for my Shaklee products to arrive hee hee!

God Made Playdough said...

Vinager also works great for getting the smell out of a little girl's favorite monkey tail! :)

Angela Miller said...

That's too funny, Amy! I use vinegar in the washer all the time for those loads that get left in there too long and then start to smell. Vinegar just works wonders.

Jessica said...

I use vineager in my shower, I spray after each one, and in the wash with my towels. I don't care for the smell but it does amazing things.