Friday, November 13, 2009

The Impact of Music

It was just another average morning. I got up got the boys fed and dressed and then it was off to school. As we started driving I turned on whatever CD happened to be in the player and we began singing. I dropped Keegan off at school and Truitt and I headed home. We continued listening to the CD and singing.

Once again, God used music to speak to me. He seems to use the music that I am most familiar with and listen to all the time. I'm noticing that it is the music that I would least expect to impact me. Maybe that is because I am so familiar with it. I tend to listen and sing without really thinking about what I am singing. When I take the time to stop and think about the words and what they really mean it hits me.

This day was no different. As I pulled into our driveway I found myself in tears (over a song that I would never expect to make me cry). When I stopped to think about the words I was singing, and the truth in those words, it hit me. It is so easy for me to lose perspective of what this life is all about. I was made to know God and to Glorify Him!!! All the other details of life don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. The part that got me most were those last two lines. They seems so simple and easy to say, but am I really willing to live the words I was singing? Yes, I want to live my life in such a way that my God comes before everything. I count all these other things as blessings from Him. They can all be stripped away at anytime and I don't want my happiness/joy to hinge on those things, because when they are stripped away I will still have joy. Joy that can only be found in God.

Are you dying to know what CD/song we were listening to? It is nothing groundbreaking or life altering, but God used it to speak to me, and that is all that matters. I slowed down long enough to listen to my God. The CD was Toby Mac's "Portable Sounds" CD and the song was "Made to Love."

Tobymac - Made To Love From the album Portable Sounds

The dream is fading now I am staring at the door
I know it’s over cause my feet have hit the cold floor
Check my reflection, I ain’t feeling what I see
It’s no mystery

What ever happened to a passion I could live for?
What became of the flame that made me feel more?
And when did I forget…

Chorus:
That I was made to love You
I was made to find You
I was made just for You
Made to adore You
I was made to love and be loved by You
You were here before me
You were waiting on me
And You said You’d keep me never would You leave me
I was made to love
And be loved by You

The dreams alive with my eyes open wide
Back in the ring You got me swingin’ for the grand prize
I feel the haters spittin’ vapors on my dreams
But I still believe…

I’m reachin’ out, reachin’ up, reachin’ over
I feel a breeze cover me called Jehovah
And Daddy I’m on my way…

Chorus:
Anything I would give up for You
Everything I give it all away

1 comment:

Tami said...

I love this song. It was one of the first songs that I listed to after coming back to the Lord after walking away from Him for 7 years. It was a great reminder as to why I was created. For Him! And, that even though I had walked away, He never once left me.

Music is so powerful. The one song that still gets me is Leeland's Opposite Way. My Jesus chose to go the opposite way when faced with persecution, torture, and death. He chose to walk towards it, and not away from it. Thank you, my Lord, for that choice. Let my walk reflect my daily choices to walk the opposite way.