Monday, March 9, 2009

Lightbulb Moment

Have you ever had one of those moments where everything just clicked? I had one the other night.

I have talked about my dislike of High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) and how I have cut it out of my family's diet. I have also talked about how I saw a dramatic weight loss when I did so. I wasn't sure why I lost the weight. I figured it had to do with HFCS being unhealthy and not natural. I was reading "Green Goes with Everything" by Sloan Barnett and found a perfect description of how your body reacts when it consumes HFCS.

And speaking of sweeteners, look out for high fructose corn syrup. It
won't be hard. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is in most soft drinks,
many juices, and a vast array of other foods. Why? Because it is
cheaper than cane sugar and has largely replaced it since the 1970s.
But HFCS has a problem. Unlike regular sugar (sucrose), HFCS tricks
your body into thinking it hasn't yet had enough sugar, which means you eat
more. it also becomes fat in your body much faster than regular
sugar. The result? Many nutritionists and scientists believe
it's no coincidence that the skyrocketing national obesity problem parallels
the rapid growth of high fructose corn syrup as manufacturers' sweetener of
choice.

This was my "ah-ha" moment. It all makes sense now. I lost weight because my body wasn't thinking that I still needed to consume more sugar and it wasn't storing all that extra HFCS as fat.

Anyone else interested in taking the challenge of cutting HFCS out of their diet? You might be amazed at the results you see when you cut it out.

2 comments:

Penny said...

cool "side effect"! ;-)

Cynthia1770 said...

Hi,
Ny google alert for HFCS picked up your post. No need to preach the treachery of HFCS at this site!
Try StopHFCS.com for an extensive list of HFCS-free foods and beverages. To your health.