Friday, April 18, 2008

The Great Candyland Comeback!

"Hey Keegan, what do you want to do before naptime?" I asked, knowing full well the answer before it came. With Keegan, his favorite #1 thing to do at anytime (day or night) is...

"I want to play a game," came the enthusiastic response.

Just as expected.

I almost rolled my eyes and even tried to selfishly coax him into watching a cartoon with me before nap time (so I could lay down for few more minutes of shut-eye myself). But no, it had to be a game. There was no changing his mind.

Just then, mommy stepped in. "Okay, okay, we'll all play a game together here on the floor. How about...um...let's see...Candyland!"

"Yes, yes! Hooray," Keegan shouted. We reminded him that we had to be quiet so that the baby wouldn't wake up and a few minutes later the game was setup and ready to go. The race to the Candy Castle was on.

At first, Keegan jumped out to a commanding lead, but Daddy caught up pretty quickly - leaving Mommy trodding along at the back of the pack. As the game progressed, it became obvious that this was a two gingerbread man race to the finish. It was Keegan and Daddy...Daddy and Keegan...we were neck and neck coming into the final turn toward the finish line and the prizes that awaited us there. It was my turn again. Pulling the top card from the pile I found myself sent all the way back to the beginning of the board.

"Oh no!" I moaned, "not the candy cane forest."

Keegan was left alone in the lead to win it all, and he couldn't have been more pleased.

"I think I'm going to win," Keegan nearly burst with excitement. It wasn't the gloating kind that we do as adults - but rather a genuine excitement in seeing the finish line so close and no one left to challenge him. Kids wear their emotions on their sleeves and I couldn't help but get excited in watching him go.

But, mommy had been slowly creeping up on us and the candyland cards had a few tricks up their sleeve yet to play. Another card later, Keegan got bumped back and somehow Angela must have jumped 50 steps closer in the process. Now, it was a two way race with Mommy for the win. It was a masterful move, the girl who once was considered out of the race was now challenging the leader for the win. If there was an ESPN-BoardGame Channel, this would have been on it for sure.

I watched from the rear (drawing lousy card after lousy card) as they made their way around the final turn and Keegan landed only one space from the end. His next turn would be his last - no matter what color card he drew. The pressure was on, Mommy had to act now or it would be over.

Drawing her final card, it was a double purple - the only card that could have done it. Mommy smiled and moved her Gingerbread man to the end. Amazing, astounding, mommy had done it. The crowd went wild, even Keegan who is a very good sport.

"Good job Mommy!" he said in congratulations.

"Okay Keegan, you can still beat Daddy," she encourages. "It's your turn next, let's see if you win!"

Now, keep in mind if he pulls any card that moves him forward he would win the game. He's only one space from the finish and the marvelous Candy Castle that has been beckoning us since the start.

He smiles and pulls his card - eyes wide with exhileration. He picks up the card carefully, savoring every moment of his inevitable victory. Then, turning the card over at last he reveals for all to see.

The crowd gasps. No - it couldn't be...it's...it's...

"Gumdrop Mountains! Oh no," I said. "That's back behind where Daddy is." The worst possible thing that could have happened, just happend. The shoe-in for the win was going to suffer a terrible defeat. We didn't know what to say.

The three-year old champ sat in stunned silence for a moment. The reality of what had just happened began to sink in. Then he furrowed his brow and spoke his mind.

"But, I'm supposed to win," he said at last with a serious look on his face. "I think...um...I think, I don't want to go back there!"

It was one of those priceless moments, you wish you had your camera rolling. Angela and I burst into laughter and Keegan joined in. The three of us laughed together. Keegan didn't care about the game anymore - he had said something funny and he was repeating it over and over to get Mommy and Daddy to laugh with him.

So, I guess he won afterall. We all won - it was a fun game.

No comments: